July 1, 2013
HOW Y'ALL DOIN’?!!!
My Beautiful Family,
Can you believe that I am in
Louisiana? There are some days that I wake up and can't believe where I am. I
absolutely love it here and I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY! Every morning I get to wake up and serve people and help them
draw closer to our Heavenly Father. I get to tell them that their Father loves
them and is aware of their trials, sorrows, pains and joys. I can't think of
any greater work.
OK, lots of bits and pieces of
information, because again, so much happens every week and I get so overwhelmed
trying to cram it all into one email.
When I got off the plane, I thought I
was suffocating! I couldn't breathe! I have never been in humidity before and
it completely shocked me. It felt like a hot, wet blanket had been thrown in my
face and while I was meeting and trying to talk with Pres. Wall, I was wiping
sweat out of my eyes; lovely, I know. It is terribly hot EVERY DAY but I think
I am already getting used to it. Some days there is a breeze but I have
pretty much accepted that I am going to be sweaty but it's okay - there are
many more important things than the heat to be concerned about! The sky hasn't
been blue, yet. It’s crazy how the sky just "looks" hot. The sunsets
are incredible though. The hot yellow sky during the day changes into every color
you can imagine at night. We have the chance to go running in the morning so we
are able to see the sunrise as well. I love Loooosiana!
I am living in an area called
Hammond, but I am actually serving in Albany. I HAD NO IDEA that there
was only one mission in LA! There’s also only one temple in Baton Rouge, and
just a handful of stakes in the ENTIRE STATE!!! There is so much work to do here in the south! I’m so glad that I
get to serve here. Not getting my visa has been a bit of a distraction but I am
trying to not let it be so. I have no idea when my visa is coming so please
stop asking (mom! J) – I’m trying not to think about it! (love you) it could come
tomorrow, in a few months, or not at all. My goal is to work hard and do my
best while I am here, no matter the time period. I have no doubt however, that
this is where I am suppose to be.
My area is about 50X15 miles and that
large area includes just one ward. I am living with another companionship and
we have to share the car and the miles, so we either have to bike or get rides
from members. So far it is working out alright. My companion is from Canada! Happy Canada Day!
I can't even begin to describe to
you how good the food is! You know me, I’m not a food person, but this is
unlike anything I have ever had before! One night, we had homemade apple pies,
ribs, bbq chicken… the list keeps going. Everyone makes fun of how little
I am eating but we will see who's laughing in a couple months, eh? I have actually
lost about 5 pounds since I last weighed myself. I’m pretty sure I am
sweating out everything I eat. I need to be healthier though- yesterday
we had three dinner appts!
Here are some funny and random things
about LA I have noticed in the last week:
- graves are above ground because of flooding = super creepy as
bodies are just lyin’ there!
- I ALREADY SAY Y'ALL!!!!!! all
y'all.... yep. it's easier because as missionaries we can't say
"guys" so you just say y'all! it's awesome.
- again, the food is THE BOMB!
- our bishop is a convert as of four
years ago - he's amazing.
- my ward has about 400 members – the
problem: less than 100 of them actually come to church. Inactivity is a
huge problem down here. Also, most members haven't gone through the temple. You
will hear about me visiting lots of inactives, but the thing is, if we don't
visit them, no one will. There aren't any people in the ward that could. Missionary work is so important.
- southern hospitality is real! So is
EVERY stereotype about the south and it's awesome.
- everyone calls each other
"baby" even the missionaries.
- before first names, you say miss
like Miss Anne and respecting your elders is huge. The weirdest thing was
the handshakes - apparently it is rude to shake a woman’s hand, so the men just
kind of give you a little head nod and say "how do you do!" it
freaked me out a little at first, but everyone does it!
I gave a talk in sacrament yesterday
with about 15 minutes notice. Sooo, the girl (ME!) who read her entire farewell
talk word-for-word talked for 30 MINUTES with NO NOTES! I sat down, and I
couldn't even remember what i said, or how in the heck I did it, but it was
amazing. I know the Lord gave that talk for me, because I have never been
able to do anything like that before.
We have been teaching an investigator
named S. She's an amazing lady and has been though so much. I can envision her
being involved with the gospel and wearing baptism clothes! I know it's going
to happen! Please pray for her.
Well, I love you so much family, and
I hope that all is well at home. Please,
please PLEASE read the Book of Mormon as a family. It will bless your lives – I
promise, I know. Maybe after you finish reading my emails, you could all get together
and just read a chapter and pray that you will receive a testimony that it is
true. Y'all better have good habits of reading as a family by the time I
get home!
I miss you all, A LOT, but I love it
out here. Keep writing and letting me how you're doing.
Remember, DON’T MISS ME, I HAVE WORK TO DO! I love you more than all of the fireflies in
Loooosiana!
Sista Lloyd
My address is:
214 E. Church Street
Hammond, LA 70401


No comments:
Post a Comment