The Sound Must Go Forth

" ... the sound must go forth from this place into all the world, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth—the gospel must be apreached unto every creature, with bsigns following them that believe." - D&C 58:64

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

MY STRENGTH IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS


HELLO BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!!!

Guess what? We are staying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this area so much and I love Sister B. Such huge blessings and relief!!!!

Being Training Leaders is a big job, but we are making it and seeing so many miracles. How are all of my beautiful cousins? I love you all so much!!!!!!!

Well ... here's my letta!! 

My favorite part in the White Handbook says, “Companions support each other in all phases of the work. They help each other learn and grow. They strengthen each other in times of difficulty. They can provide protection from physical danger, false charges and temptation.”  I love my companion and I am so glad that we are called to serve and preach in companionships! I can’t imagine doing this work alone! I have a firm testimony of loving, supporting and serving your companion in all aspects of the work. This learning from someone you’re serving and loving 24/7 is a huge part of missionary work not to mention “training” for future relationships.

I think to the Book of Mormon when the fathers of the stripling warriors covenanted that they wouldn’t take up arms. It was a righteous desire - to protect their freedom, their country and their families- but they had promised God they wouldn’t.  “Situations that seem harmless” can be avoided by obedience to all the rules. Seemingly little things like staying up too late because of prayers or going out of sight/sound to teach more people may seem harmless because the motives are right, just like the fathers in the Book of Mormon. But obedience is always far more important. 

I remember one of the Sisters that I served with in Louisiana always related companionship unity to COMPASSION. In 1 Peter 3:8 it reads

“Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren (or sisters!) be pitiful (or tenderhearted) be courteous.”

My core experience with God this week was a miracle that happened on exchanges with Sister F in Springfield.  We were given a name of someone to visit but when we arrived, we learned the person had moved to New Zealand. Her older sister answered the door, though and invited us in. She was raised LDS but had stopped coming years ago. We shared a powerful lesson about God’s love and towards the end she said, “It’s pretty ironic that you came by. My husband who isn’t a member was just telling me that he wants to learn more about the LDS faith and come to church.” It wasn’t a coincidence that my companion that day was also from NZ so they had an instant connection. Miracles!

Teaching as Jesus taught came form the experiences I had with the Sisters this week. As I am finishing reading the Book of Mormon, I know that it wasn’t coincidence that I had just read 3 Nephi 11-18.

Our leaders and prophets always talk about immersing ourselves in the scriptures to help us have a greater relationship with the Savior.  Like we often say, in order to have faith and rely on Him, we must get to know him and by reading His words, we can do that. 

I felt things shift into place as I was reading these chapters. I could picture the Savior smiling, teaching, praying and weeping out of incomprehensible love for each of us. This week, this event from the scriptures came alive for me.  As I was reading it, I felt as if I was there, and I felt His love as we were on exchanges with the Sisters. After Jesus prays to the Father, it says in 3 Nephi 17:20-22, 24:

“And they arose from the earth, and he said unto them: blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full. And when he had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the father for them. And when he had done this he wept again.”

I thought about the mission of Christ, and that He was sent to come down and do the will of the Father. He had so much love, because he learned it from His Heavenly Parents. Jesus called apostles so that when He left the earth, they could act in His name and help guide the people and show compassion and love.

Sister B and I were discussing how we both felt overwhelming love and admiration for the Sisters. To see everything that they have sacrificed to be here -- not having family support, being new to the church, not speaking the language -- the list goes on. But each Sister keeps going with a smile!

Sister M is incredible, she is brand new and doesn’t speak English, but who was the one approaching people and greeting everyone on the street with a smile? Who are these great Sisters who have left everything to serve the Lord? It makes me wonder, what have I sacrificed? I have been given so much, and it hurts me to say that for most of my life I have been so ungrateful.  Sister B and I were so humbled and offered a prayer of gratitude. This experience reminds me of the scripture in Ether 6:12

 “…they bowed themselves down upon the face of the land, and did humble themselves before the lord, and did shed tears of joy before the lord, because of the multitude of his tender mercies over them.”

During training, Elder Pearson said something profound. When he and his wife were exhausted and didn’t think they could give anything more, his wife told him to stop doing the job like a CEO and act more like a Mission President! This applies to me! Sister Lloyd, stop looking at missionary work like a job, like a checklist, and more like becoming a disciple of Christ!

My studies of the Atonement over the last couple of weeks have been transformational.  I especially love two scriptures found in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10:

“…my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore, I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

I love being a missionary, and I love this calling. I know that we must be given more than we can handle alone to help us understand the role and necessity of the 
Atonement. And I know that through Jesus Christ, we can DO any righteous thing, and OVERCOME anything.  He is what gives me strength and I try to share this strength with the Sisters and everyone we meet.

I love you to the moon and back!

Sister Lloyd





No comments:

Post a Comment