Elllllllo Beautiful Family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yesterday was such a blessed day. It was one of those Sundays where every experience I had and all of my studies and inspiration came together during Sacrament meeting.This past week, Elder M gave me a blessing that I would be an advocate for my companion, this area, my family, but especially, my brother. The blessing was long and comforting, but that word--advocate--is what really resonated with me. I asked Heavenly Father to help me understand what I need to be doing as an advocate.
Since Elder and
Sister Nelson’s visit, I have pondered what I can do to follow Sister Nelson’s
counsel to make a plan to study the Atonement. Before and since the
conference we have tried to ensure that Jesus Christ is the center of
EVERYTHING we do. I have also prayed and studied to know what I can do to
know the Savoir more personally.
| Celebrating Half-Way Mark with Fro Yo! |
“Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father who
is pleading your cause before him. Wherefore Father, spare these my brethren
that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life.”
I knew this
week would be hard because whenever something really great is going to happen
(our scheduled baptism), opposition always comes. I prayed we wouldn’t let
the door open even a crack to Satan, and I am so grateful that I have been able
to fight off temptations with the help of my Saviour. Fighting off the
temptations of the natural man – another connection that clicked:
DC 62:1 reads:
“…even Jesus Christ, your advocate, who knoweth the
weakness of man and how to succor them who are tempted.”
I had an image
in my mind of the Saviour kneeling down before the Father, pleading for me, and pleading with me that I could fight the
temptation of the flesh and be able to succeed and feel the Spirit. Ah, I was
starting to understand!
And that is why
the Spirit prompted me to study through the lens of obedience, but more
specifically, how to be submissive and help others obey the commandments of our
Heavenly Father and help them be obedient. As a representative of Him,
right now, I am our investigator’s advocate. I am my brother’s advocate. I
am pleading for their cause to be righteous and do the Father’s will. Of course
I can’t stand in place of Him but I can help
them along the way, with my example. It especially touched me that I
will be my brother’s advocate and that I need to be an obedient example for
him.
Teaching as
Jesus taught came form an experience teaching and preaching by the way! It was
the end of the day, and we had just finished our last appt with our
investigator. We had about 20 mins before we needed to be home and we were
waiting for the other sisters to pick us up. We had a potential up the
street so I told SK that we would walk up there and try them. Looking down
the street, I saw that most of the house lights were off and the Spirit spoke
to me very clearly, “knock on the doors where the lights are on.” We tried the
first 3 doors with no luck. The last door we knocked on, a man opened the
door with a friendly greeting. All I had were my scriptures and a pass along
card. We had about 2 mins and I prayed that we would know what to say and how
to invite the Spirit. He asked us what we were doing and without thinking, I
held up the picture of Christ on the pass along card and told him that we help
people come unto Christ and develop a relationship with Him. He held the
card, looked at it, smiled and said that he would love for us to come back so
he could learn more. Amazing!
My core experience
with God this week was definitely A’s baptism! Witnessing a mighty change of
heart is the best part about missionary work. It reminded me of Alma
36:24-26. You could just feel the joy emanating from A after his baptism
and especially yesterday after he received the Holy Ghost. You could see a
light in his eyes. Like Alma, I know that the Lord gave us “exceedingly
great joy in the fruit of (our) labours…”
I have dreamed
about his baptism since the day we met A. When I looked at him the first time,
I knew that we were “old friends” and after his confirmation, his gaze
confirmed that yes, indeed, we had known each other before this life. He told
me that ever since we met he has felt a connection between us and that he knows
SB and I were sent here to help him. He said that I had been a “ray of
sunshine” who helped him overcome his fears.
We had a
similar experience with an investigator when she told us she’d been waiting
years for Sisters like us to come. As we were driving home, I had a
flashback to the day when I arrived here and as soon as President said the word
“T” it felt familiar and I knew it was where I needed to be with SB. I am often
in awe over how perfect revelation and Heavenly Father’s plan is for me. I
am continually amazed by God’s goodness and all with which He blesses me. I STAND ALL AMAZED!
My advice to a
new missionary is something I feel very passionate about. While thinking
about this, I thought of my new companion and the newly called Elder Lloyd! My
advice, although it sounds redundant and simple is to -- OBEY. Be obedient. All
the blessings of a mission are predicated upon our submissiveness and
willingness to be obedient.
Before we can
progress in any field, and especially on a mission, we must first learn to
obey.
Seeing your
investigators receive blessings and be baptized is fun. Having love and
unity with your companion is fun. Having the Spirit fill your mouth because you
are a worthy vessel is fun. Going to bed at 10:30 and getting the full 8
hours of sleep is fun! Over the last few months, I have gained a testimony of
what S. O’Riordan said: “obedience is
happiness.”
In doing so, we
receive many blessings, like it says in DC 121:33, we can “conquer Satan”
(DC 10:5) but most important, we can feel and listen to the promptings of the
Spirit. We shared a lesson about being “in tune” with the voice of the
Spirit, like fine-tuning radio. 1 COR 14:10 says:
![]() |
| Port Macquarie, NSW |
There are many
voices competing for our ears, and especially the thoughts from the
adversary. When we are obedient, it allows us to hear the most subtle and
sweet promptings and impressions that will impact our decisions for eternity.
Well mates, loveys -
Remember I love you to the moon and back.
And back again
and again!
xoxoxoxoxooxox
Over to you!





No comments:
Post a Comment