The Sound Must Go Forth

" ... the sound must go forth from this place into all the world, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth—the gospel must be apreached unto every creature, with bsigns following them that believe." - D&C 58:64

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

SUBMISSION = SUCCESS

Be Not Afraid by Julie Rogers
Hello Beautiful Family!!!

Teaching as Jesus Taught came from an experience I had while we were on trade-offs. When we arrived to visit a woman in her home, her husband answered the door, tears running down his face. We asked what was wrong, and he said that just moments before we arrived, nurses had come to prep his wife to go to the hospital. She has terminal cancer and was preparing to never come home again. We learned that this man wasn’t a member and he wasn’t interested in listening to our message, but he was so distraught that we couldn’t leave him. We asked if we could come inside and offer a prayer together. He said no, he was too upset and that he didn’t say prayers. We then asked if it was OK if we said one together, outside. He again, said no. We then offered to say the prayer through the door, and he accepted. There was a wave of the Spirit that was so enveloping. I literally felt the Saviour’s presence as we were standing there together. 

This man just wept bitterly. We tenderly bore our testimonies of the Book of Mormon and the Plan of Salvation. As we walked away, Sis S and I didn’t say anything because there was nothing to say. It reminded me exactly of what you talked about in your letter last week, about creating sacred spaces. We just sat there and said a prayer of gratitude together. I am so grateful for the companionship of the Holy Ghost and the opportunity to share the sacred space with this man.

We had another awesome lesson with a family. We planned to invite them to watch Conference with us, and as soon as we sat down the father said, “Listen Sisters, I know why you are here! And I am NOT coming to church on Sunday -- I am way too tired and it’s too much of a hassle.” Since we were on exchanges, I barely knew this family, but I felt completely at peace. I knew that the Spirit would tell us exactly what to say, because God knew what they needed that morning. My thoughts went to one of my favorite scriptures in Mormon 9:21. We shared this verse, and I bore testimony of the power of prayer. Immediately, the father started weeping. The spirit was so strong. After a few moments of silence, he said to us. “Sisters, this is why you are here today. That is what I needed to hear. I have forgotten the simple things, and I haven’t ever even asked God for help and strength for my righteous desires.” It was an amazing moment and helped my testimony increase that God knows and loves his children. Just like the man that we prayed with, He puts us in places to share His love for them. 


My core experience with God this week was definitely General Conference!  I feel as though conference  always comes at the perfect time and I am able to refocus and receive the spiritual guidance and comfort I need. 

This Conference, I had two questions; how can I have the Spirit more powerfully with me? And what I can do to enjoy, not simply endure my mission and be happy NOW!
[Alex recapped her thoughts and impressions about each Conference talk – pretty awesome but VERY long so I deleted. Visit lds.org to learn more.]

Another thought I've deeply considered lately is what is required to be "happy" or "successful" on our missions. These thoughts can extend beyond a mission too, in any aspect of our life. 

At least while serving a mission, thus serving the Lord, one can't measure "success" using the world's measuring stick.

While searching for word “success” in the Bible Dictionary, the index and the topical guide, this word cannot be found. Instead, my eyes found the word submissive. While I don’t have time to express everything that I have learned, I would like to share a scripture that made everything much more clear in Micah 6:


 6 ¶Wherewith shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old?

 7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
 8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
I know that the “success” we’re searching for as missionaries comes from a love for the Lord and a willingness to submit. Our level or depth of submissiveness is what defines our, quote, success. Being a true disciple of Christ isn’t a matter of getting our “head on straight” or figuring things out mentally, it’s a matter of the heart – softening and opening it. It goes against our “natural man” tendencies that push or force rather than finding strength and knowledge by submission to the Lord. Hard to do? Yes, but we can do it.

DC 64:34 reads:

“Behold the lord requireth the heart and a willing mind and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.”

Isaiah 1:19 reads:

“If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land.”

Because Heavenly Father wants us to live with Him and His eternal family, we need this strength of the heart that comes through submission.  We cannot measure success like the world does -- in grades, money, numbers.  What a blessing it is that the Lord doesn’t state, “you will not be successful on your mission unless you have 10 convert baptisms!” That is because this work is a work of God’s eternal and incomprehensible love for his children. It’s not quantifiable. And until we love the Lord in return, we won’t find happiness. Yes, it’s hard but we can do it through the Savior and the blessings of the Atonement. 
Coff's Harbour NSW
To close, I would like to share the lyrics of the hymn, “A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief.”

The words are exactly what I needed to hear and were a direct answer to my prayers. I know that sometimes words of hymns are like scripture, and can say things I cannot express myself:

“My friendship’s utmost zeal to try

He asked if I for him would die

The flesh was weak, my blood ran chill

But my free spirit cried, I will!”

I say I WILL each day because that is what the Saviour did for me. I will say I WILL each day because of the example of obedience and submissiveness He set for us until the very end, which in turn became our beginning. 


Family … HAPPY EASTER!  HE LIVES! I hope that you have a beautiful week remembering the Saviour's Atonement.

I love you to the moon and back!

Prince Charming who lives on their house.

No comments:

Post a Comment