The Sound Must Go Forth

" ... the sound must go forth from this place into all the world, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth—the gospel must be apreached unto every creature, with bsigns following them that believe." - D&C 58:64

Monday, September 1, 2014

BUS = ZION


ELLO BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!

Wow. Llama, you are the best. I love you so much. I cannot wait to spend time with you. Congrats on your game!! You. Are. BEEEEAAAAAST! 

Trevor, thank you for your example of courage. Wèi nǐ jiāo'ào!

Here are a couple of funnies that came from the bus...

Bus driver as I’m getting off the bus: "Hey you! What do you think you're doing? Get ova here!"
Me: "Yessir, what can I do for you?"
BD: "Just a warning, Aussies aren't very religious. You're wasting your time."
Me, laughing: "You are very wrong sir! There are lots of incredible people here!"
BD: "What, do you think you're going to convert all of Sydney, one bus at a time?!?"
Me: "THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I PLAN TO DO!!" HAHAHA

Next one.

So there's this man and a little girl sitting next to me on the bus. He kept giving me the stink eye, so I thought I would just be nice and talk with his daughter. Then I noticed a Lemony  Snicket book in her bag! I asked her about the book, still getting the evil glares. He kept sliding in rude comments and finally he stood up. I handed the book back to girl, and the dad turns around and "says" to me at the top of his lungs, so the whole bus can hear (everyone is looking by now, and I’m leaving out most of the bad things) "You could have a beautiful life; don't waste ittttttttttttttttttttt! And SLAM. Bus driver hits brakes and guess who falls right on top of me? I had to bite my hand to stop from laughing. 

Glowing plankton result of chemical reaction when sea water is disturbed by oxygen 
Also, coolest thing. We were walking to an apt next to Manly beach last week and we noticed flashing in the water. I thought it was a light shining on the water. We went to look closer. Turns out, because there was a new moon, you could see the florescent plankton lighting up the waves in the water. Every time the waves crashed, the whole wave lit up green. It was incredible. I am so blessed to be here! Ah!

Another tender mercy- this weekend we had stake conference and Elder Coward (Area presidency) spoke to us. Well guess what, remember A Coward? THAT's HER DAD!!! He started telling a story about the Bountiful Temple and I start choking up. I couldn't believe it. He said he loves Bountiful, because as long as you keep your sights on the temple, you'll be able to find your way home.

Well, after the conference I ran up and introduced myself. I asked, where's A? … Get this- SHES SERVING IN SINGAPORE! The world is much too tiny over here. I love it!

It has been an incredible week!  The clouds are starting to break, and the miracles continue to pour down upon Manly.  

I was so grateful to talk with Sister B after the conference last week. We didn't have to say more than a few words to each other, and we both choked up with tears. I am so grateful for the eternal influence that SB has made on my life. I know that we were sent to Australia to help each other. The transformation that occurred in both of us during our time in Toronto is something that I will be forever grateful for. Her eye has never deviated from her purpose, and she is one of the most consecrated missionaries I know. She is constantly trying to improve and become more virtuous. I am grateful for the renewal of hope and faith she gave me that day.

While sitting on the bus, we witnessed a very rude passenger yelling at the bus driver. I went up and apologized and asked if there was anything that I could do. I saw a lady at the back of the bus, and she was smiling! I decided to go sit with her. Our smiles unfolded into an entire lesson, and she was more than willing to have us come back so she could learn more. While following up with her that night over the phone, she said, "Sister, I am so busy, but there is something about you that I am drawn to. When I talk to you, and when I saw you, I feel so happy! I want to feel like this more often during the week so I will make time for you."

On exchanges with Sis H, that is something that she also noticed in me, and me in her.  That when our motives are pure, and the love of Christ exudes from our countenances, people are really drawn to us, because it is something that is rarely found in the world. She told me that people were "sucked into me" that day. I know that it isn't me though - it is our spirits connecting and the influence of Christ. This experience has caused me to contemplate about my core experience with God.

As we were walking down the street, we met a man and his wife who were extremely rude to us. They were swearing at us, and telling us how we had been "brainwashed to be obedient to our parents and a cult" and all kinds of things that we just smiled and accepted.  

Later this week, as I was getting on the bus, the bus driver said, "Hello Sister Lloyd, how are you?" I stopped in my tracks. A few weeks ago, amidst the rain in Manly, we had hopped on his bus, and he drove us down the hill. We shared a though provoking conversation, and I was so touched with his sincerity.

He said that ever since we last spoke, he had been thinking about everything about which that I testified.  He said, "Sister Lloyd, some people really make an impact on our lives. You are one of those people to me. I was deeply touched by what you shared with me on the bus the other day." 

I stayed on the bus longer than usual and was able to teach and testify to him for about 30 minutes. I was so grateful for the tender mercy of A being placed in our path again. He told me that because of my happiness and my countenance, others might be drawn to me. It made me think about the contrast of experiences that I had had this week, and what truly has made me happy in my mission, and in my life. It was a faith renewing experience where I realized that this gospel really is the plan of HAPPINESS for God's children, and I am so blessed to know that with a surety.

Teaching as Jesus taught came from a day when almost every one of our appointments fell through. I will admit, I was tempted to feel discouraged. We stopped in the middle of the street, and said a prayer together so that we could see more clearly the reason why we were there that day.  We opened our eyes and saw one of our friends we haven't seen for weeks.  We quickened our pace, and were able to wrap her in a huge hug. Immediately the spirit was so strong. My heart was so filled with love for her. I know that we were there on the street that day to promise her that God never forgets His children. 

As I have been thinking about my level of obedience, a line from Elder Coward's talk stuck out to me:
"As critical as obedience is, what is becoming and changing on the inside?"

My prayers were very clearly answered going to stake conference this weekend. I loved the scriptural examples that he gave of the difference in understanding the law, and applying the Atonement into our lives so that we become, or change into a new creature.

In Mosiah 12 we read:
 27 Ye have not applied your hearts to understanding; therefore, ye have not been wise. Therefore, what teach ye this people?
We read that Abinadi taught the people that although they understood the law, (the WHB or commandments) they hadn't let it change them. They hadn't allowed the Atonement to become a sanctifying process, becoming a verb in their lives.
 28 And moreover, I say unto you, that salvation doth not come by the law alone; and were it not for the atonement, which God himself shall make for the sins and iniquities of his people, that they must unavoidably perish, notwithstanding the law of Moses.
In Alma 33:
 20 But few understood the meaning of those things, and this because of the hardness of their hearts. But there were many who were so hardened that they would not look, therefore they perished. Now the reason they would not look is because they did not believe that it would heal them.

Because of the easiness of the way, they were too prideful to even let the small things be healed through the Atonement. Instead of focusing on the problem, we need to look to the source of who can heal us.

Mosiah 17:
 20 And now, when Abinadi had said these words, he fell, having suffered death by fire; yea, having been put to death because he would not deny the commandments of God, having sealed the truth of his words by his death.
 1 And now, it came to pass that Alma, who had fled from the servants of king Noah, repented of his sins and iniquities, and went about privately among the people, and began to teach the words of Abinadi—

I love the inspiring words that our adoration of the Saviour must move to emulation.  It must be an active process that we are seeking to purify what is inside us.  As I saw earlier in the week, it wasn't the perfectly memorized discussions, or even the words that I said to most of these people, but that the vessel that carries the message to these people is an emulation of Jesus Christ. I pray that I will be able to cleanse my inner vessel and become like Him. 

I have recommitted myself to be an Atonement-centered missionary. In the talk, “Becoming a Consecrated Missionary” Elder Callister says, "What is the driving motivating force for a consecrated missionary? It is the Saviour and His Atonement. If we fail to be obedient, humble of fearless... perhaps we intellectually understand the Atonement but somehow we fail to grasp the underlying love of his sacrifice."

Also read from April Conference 'What Manner of Men" by E. Hallstrom What Manner of Men?

I am so grateful for the Atonement and sacrifice of my Saviour, Jesus Christ. I know that He lives, and I am so grateful to study His words and His life daily so I know how to pattern my life. I am so grateful for the power of testimony, and the change that is available, the happiness waiting for us, when we chose to become perfected through Him. I love being a missionary, and His representative. 

I LOVE YOU FAMILY … TO THE MOON AND BACK.
ENJOY SOME FOOTBALL FOR ME! ('MERICAN STYLE)



No comments:

Post a Comment