The Sound Must Go Forth

" ... the sound must go forth from this place into all the world, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth—the gospel must be apreached unto every creature, with bsigns following them that believe." - D&C 58:64

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

This IS the Lord's Work

Ello sweet family,

Another amazing week!

One of my favorite experiences as a missionary is being told by the Spirit to go and talk with someone. I was crossing the street with a young man and after talking a bit, he said that for the last couple of years he has been really struggling and trying to get his life back on track, but hasn't been able to have any success. I asked him if he ever went to church, and his reply was, "Yeah, I was baptized when I was real little but I haven't been to church in ages! Isn't that hypocritical of me? Aren't we at church to renew the promises we initially made with God?" I was so touched by this young man's desire to be better.  

A Certain Sister Biddle Who Brightens Each Day! 
I met another young man on the bus this week. I saw him get on the bus, and the spirit prompted me to talk with him, but unfortunately I rationalized and said that he would get the wrong idea. Well, about 5 minutes down the road, the bus was so packed that we were forced to sit with each other. We started talking, and I learned that he is Christian and had been looking for the right church ever since he left his home in T. He agreed to meet up and learn about receiving answers to prayers. I am so grateful that the Lord gave me no choice but to meet and listen to these people.

Teaching as Jesus taught came from a lesson that we had with a new investigator. He has such a sincere desire to learn. Our first lesson we committed him to read Enos, and when we came back he had read it over a dozen times because he said that he really wanted to let everything "sink in."  We asked him what impressed him while he was reading, and the last 2 verses are what really touched his heart, because he has always wondered what happens after we die. He was so amazed that there truly are "mansions" prepared for us!  How beautiful.

26 And I saw that I must soon go down to my grave, having been wrought upon by the power of God that I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ. And I have declared it in all my days, and have rejoiced in it above that of the world.
 27 And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen.
Our Bishop, was released this week, and was able to come teaching with us to see P. P wanted so badly to believe that he could change, and that he could be healed, but he just didn't see that there was a way.  Brother T bore the most sincere, and powerful testimony saying that Christ healed people from the dead; he healed the leper and the blind, so why couldn't he do the same for us? With tears in all of our eyes, it really hit me how blessed we are to have that same Priesthood authority on earth today. The same power that set me apart to be His representative is the same that Christ used to heal the sick. I am so blessed to have been given that power and authority to love people and serve them. 
My core experience with God this week came from an amazing lesson with a recent covert. He is in AUS playing footy and joined the church last year because of the testimony that he gained in a short amount of time. My heart just burned as he told us how much he has sacrificed to be away from his family, and to stick to the standards of the church. He lives with many flat mates who aren't members, and he is surrounded by people who aren't of our faith, and don't live the way that he has chosen to live. He called us later this week and told us that he has a friend that he wants us to start teaching.
We shared with him the story of the sons of Mosiah. In Mosiah 27 it reads,
 28 Nevertheless, after wading through much tribulation, repenting nigh unto death, the Lord in mercy hath seen fit to snatch me out of an everlasting burning, and I am born of God.
 29 My soul hath been redeemed from the gall of bitterness andbonds of iniquity. I was in the darkest abyss; but now I behold the marvelous light of God. My soul was racked with eternal torment; but I am snatched, and my soul is pained no more.
 30 I rejected my Redeemer, and denied that which had been spoken of by our fathers; but now that they may foresee that he will come, and that he remembereth every creature of his creating, he will make himself manifest unto all.
He bore his testimony to us about how he didn't even know that he was looking for it until he felt the spirit and realized that it was the gospel that was missing in his life. I am so grateful that we are able to teach with him and work with him, because I see the light that he carries and I can see the impact that he will make on so many people's lives. 
We had another miracle seeking referrals from the members this week. It was amazing working with the members and seeking revelation to make specific, realistic plans of what we can do to work together.  I could feel the excitement and the love that these members have. That this is the way that the Lord wants us to work, and I felt so strongly. Like I've said before, many of the ward members just doesn't know how to even begin, and so SN and I are taking steps to help them create a vision of what their families desire and set goals.  
I think that too often we put members on the same plane- that we just create a simple lesson to "seek referrals" and to "build their faith in scripture thoughts!" NO!  We have to take as much careful consideration and planning that we do for our members as we do for our investigators. I have seen that when we do this, they are enthused about the work and can move forward confidently. 
We had so many miracles this week on visits! I can really see that ward is getting more and more excited about doing the work. We had an awesome night that we planned for the mutual this week, and we are doing our best to show the ward members how to have spiritual experiences while we aren't in the home or in the meeting.  

For the last couple of weeks we have been trying to arrange visits with the YSA, and it hasn't been happening, so we took the initiative this week and went on splits. IT was INCREDIBLE!  The young woman that I was with told me at the end of the night that she is now thinking about going on a mission! :) So amazing.  We went to visit some of the YSA, and she arranged for us to teach one of her friends later this week.  ALL BECAUSE she could feel the excitement and spirit that comes from going out and helping and serving people. 
The thing that touched me the most this week was the talk given by Elder Holland that we watched in our training, "Feed my Sheep."Feed My Sheep
There was a line that Elder Holland said in his talk that has been ringing in my head ever since...
"Called to serve! Called to serve! But so what? For how long?"
I loved the message from the talk, and the impressions that the spirit taught me today, that my mission has first been about converting myself, so that I can know how to convert others. Once we change ourselves, we will be able to understand the Atonement and the guidance of the Spirit enough to impact others' lives. I know that to be true. 
As I have sought revelation in my prayers, fasting and in the temple the last couple of weeks, I have really been trying to learn everything that I can to prepare me for the first couple of months adjusting home. I know that there are people I need to meet here, and things I need to learn and give away in my last two transfers, or else I wouldn't be here. I am trying so hard to do exactly what the Lord wants. I am absolutely committed to understand what it means to be 'called to serve' and be converted for the rest of my life. 
I know these things are true, and that this is HIS work.
And I love yous to the moon and back, and to eternity and back.
Please, please love the Saviour this week. Love him enough to give up something. Rid yourselves of the anger, the childish and foolish conversations. Please. Because I love you, and so does He.
Sista Lloyd
Congratulations to Katelyn on her marriage this week! So many years of friendship ...

No comments:

Post a Comment