| Sister Training Leaders |
Hello Beautiful Family!!!
We have been in Sydney the last two days in Leadership Council meetings. So much has happened - hectic but so great!!!
Yesterday we had our special conference with Elder O'Riordan from the seventy. He is an incredible man and he visited the ward and our mission. We stayed in the mission home last night and we felt like princesses! Just SB and me and President and Sister Howes! This morning I made pancakes for President because he wouldn't let me do the dishes last night. I love them so much. They are like our parents and I am so happy to be here.
We had leadership council meeting yesterday as well! So amazing to see how the mission works. It’s awesome to sit on the council of inspiring missionaries and know that I am a part of it and that we are working together as one. I love this mission, I love the culture, and I love the spirit we have here because we are exactly and freely obedient.
This morning, I opened up my email to a very inspired friend’s advice and thoughts that really helped me draw closer to God.
"God is much more quick to forgive than we often times realize. When we look to the scriptures, they are replete with examples of forgiveness that seem to make no sense at all. Whether it is the woman taken in adultery being forgiven on the spot, Alma the younger taking only three days being forgiven and worthy after only 3 days, or, to give a modern day example, even W.W. Phelps receiving unconditional forgiveness after conspiring to kill the prophet Joseph, we see the Lord forgives us through his atonement as often as we petition for such forgiveness. All the Lord asks in return is for us to sanctify ourselves; go thy way and sin no more. God put no qualification on his forgiveness when he told the woman that her sins were forgiven her. So with that in mind, if those sins were so quickly forgiven, why not those sins we have committed? Christ forgives, quickly and without caveat.
The problem most of us have, though, is not with believing that Christ did these things, believing in Christ per se, rather our problem is actually believing Christ. We know that these things happened to other people, we just don’t know how they could possibly happen to sorry wretched sinners like ourselves. Three times it took Jesus asking Peter if he believed before Peter actually realized that he did in fact believe. One of the greatest apostles to ever live had the same doubts we have had. Though when Peter did in fact realize that he believed, Jesus said simply to feed the sheep. So now that Christ has forgiven us without condition, he’s saying: go out there, and feed the sheep!
One of the scriptures I found this week, in Mosiah 4:10:
“Repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things, see that ye do them.” The last statement, “see that ye do them” is what really strikes me. I am actively trying to change, grow and learn from my experiences. I am grateful to the Lord for giving me these opportunities.
My experience teaching as Jesus taught came from one of the lessons we had with our investigator A! Wow, what a transformational lesson! We had decided to stop visiting A as he was not keeping commitments. I prayed to know what we should do, and I felt that we should stop by and explain why we could no longer see him. In Elder B’s miracle story, he said that they went to an investigator's home and had planned on ending her lessons as well because she wasn't progressing, but the spirit told them otherwise and she ended up getting baptized!
Well, the entire lesson, I was listening to know what we should do with A, and I felt that we did need to stop teaching him -- so hard to do. As I sat and pondered, a thought sparked in my head- not a thought- a prompting from the spirit! A explained that because of his fear of traveling, he had one of his friends take him to get groceries, doctor appts., etc. He explained that his friend was a “non-believer.” I used those magic words and said “A, why don’t you, Sister B, me and your friend J go to church together this week!” He said, now that’s a great idea! Let me call him up! He stepped out, and J came right over! J explained that he had never believed in organized religion because he felt that if there was a God, then he would come down and put all the truths into one church. Sister B and I were beaming! We taught the Restoration and left him with a pamphlet.
Sure enough, that Sunday, guess who came to church! Both of them! I can’t express the joy that Sister B and I felt- sometimes it catches me off guard how happy I am when miracles like this happen because it is a different joy than I have ever felt. It was truly a miracle. I know that the Savior would do all he could to get his children to church if he were in our shoes, and it was amazing that we were able to find the right key for A this week, and in turn, find a new person to teach!
Another miracle that we had this week came while we were out finding. We had an appointment with one of our recent converts, but we met with her and taught her briefly because she had errands to run, and we were left with a some time. As we were saying a prayer before going into her house, I had a strong impression that we needed to tract the street. So, after our lesson, Sister B and I said a prayer that we would be guided to the houses the Lord wanted us to that day. We both said, “That one! Number 32!” A wonderful man answered the door and agreed to take the survey. We met his beautiful daughter and taught on the plan of salvation and set up a return appointment. As I was standing there, I kept thinking, “Wow, I feel like I know this man! We feel like old friends talking.” I feel that is the case with all the people that we meet while tracting, and even in our wards. It feels familiar- and I know that it is because we promised each other something not too long ago. It was truly a miracle!
Sister B and I talked about the blessings and power of obedience. As I was pondering one day, I was thinking, “Why do I feel so much closer to the spirit and why do I feel so different?” Like Sister Howes taught this morning, it is because of those simple acts and obedience to simple rules that makes the huge difference. I have felt a change in me in the short time that I have been here, and I can feel a change in our companionship and it all stems from obedience.
I have felt my very nature change. I have shifted from wanting to be obedient and doing things because I know that I am supposed to, to just simply doing them, and living them, and making living the higher law a part of me. I am growing spiritually because of the companionship of the Holy Ghost.
One of the greatest blessings on my mission so far is my ability to listen to the spirit and figure out how He speaks to me. I can now recognize promptings, and I know what it feels like when I am being spiritually led.
There were a couple of things that hit me hard yesterday during our training and one of them is that the gospel is exciting! I think back to the times on my mission when I have been struggling, and it is because the spirit wasn’t present. But, on the other hand, when we are obedient, and diligently working, it is exciting! We are seeing miracles! We are finding, and teaching, and committing people to change. We are seeing the change and shift in their and our own lives. It IS exciting! The spirit inspiring others to change is exciting and that is why I feel so privileged to be a part of this work here in Australia.
WELL FAMILY, I’M SORRY I’M SO SHORT ON TIME! WE HAVE TO RUN AND WORK IN OUR OWN AREA NOW :)
I love you heaps!!!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
GETTING LOST IN THE WORK AND LOVVVVVVINNNNNNGGGGG IT!
Sister Lloyd
Yesterday we had our special conference with Elder O'Riordan from the seventy. He is an incredible man and he visited the ward and our mission. We stayed in the mission home last night and we felt like princesses! Just SB and me and President and Sister Howes! This morning I made pancakes for President because he wouldn't let me do the dishes last night. I love them so much. They are like our parents and I am so happy to be here.
We had leadership council meeting yesterday as well! So amazing to see how the mission works. It’s awesome to sit on the council of inspiring missionaries and know that I am a part of it and that we are working together as one. I love this mission, I love the culture, and I love the spirit we have here because we are exactly and freely obedient.
This morning, I opened up my email to a very inspired friend’s advice and thoughts that really helped me draw closer to God.
"God is much more quick to forgive than we often times realize. When we look to the scriptures, they are replete with examples of forgiveness that seem to make no sense at all. Whether it is the woman taken in adultery being forgiven on the spot, Alma the younger taking only three days being forgiven and worthy after only 3 days, or, to give a modern day example, even W.W. Phelps receiving unconditional forgiveness after conspiring to kill the prophet Joseph, we see the Lord forgives us through his atonement as often as we petition for such forgiveness. All the Lord asks in return is for us to sanctify ourselves; go thy way and sin no more. God put no qualification on his forgiveness when he told the woman that her sins were forgiven her. So with that in mind, if those sins were so quickly forgiven, why not those sins we have committed? Christ forgives, quickly and without caveat.
The problem most of us have, though, is not with believing that Christ did these things, believing in Christ per se, rather our problem is actually believing Christ. We know that these things happened to other people, we just don’t know how they could possibly happen to sorry wretched sinners like ourselves. Three times it took Jesus asking Peter if he believed before Peter actually realized that he did in fact believe. One of the greatest apostles to ever live had the same doubts we have had. Though when Peter did in fact realize that he believed, Jesus said simply to feed the sheep. So now that Christ has forgiven us without condition, he’s saying: go out there, and feed the sheep!
One of the scriptures I found this week, in Mosiah 4:10:
“Repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things, see that ye do them.” The last statement, “see that ye do them” is what really strikes me. I am actively trying to change, grow and learn from my experiences. I am grateful to the Lord for giving me these opportunities.
My experience teaching as Jesus taught came from one of the lessons we had with our investigator A! Wow, what a transformational lesson! We had decided to stop visiting A as he was not keeping commitments. I prayed to know what we should do, and I felt that we should stop by and explain why we could no longer see him. In Elder B’s miracle story, he said that they went to an investigator's home and had planned on ending her lessons as well because she wasn't progressing, but the spirit told them otherwise and she ended up getting baptized!
Well, the entire lesson, I was listening to know what we should do with A, and I felt that we did need to stop teaching him -- so hard to do. As I sat and pondered, a thought sparked in my head- not a thought- a prompting from the spirit! A explained that because of his fear of traveling, he had one of his friends take him to get groceries, doctor appts., etc. He explained that his friend was a “non-believer.” I used those magic words and said “A, why don’t you, Sister B, me and your friend J go to church together this week!” He said, now that’s a great idea! Let me call him up! He stepped out, and J came right over! J explained that he had never believed in organized religion because he felt that if there was a God, then he would come down and put all the truths into one church. Sister B and I were beaming! We taught the Restoration and left him with a pamphlet.
Sure enough, that Sunday, guess who came to church! Both of them! I can’t express the joy that Sister B and I felt- sometimes it catches me off guard how happy I am when miracles like this happen because it is a different joy than I have ever felt. It was truly a miracle. I know that the Savior would do all he could to get his children to church if he were in our shoes, and it was amazing that we were able to find the right key for A this week, and in turn, find a new person to teach!
Another miracle that we had this week came while we were out finding. We had an appointment with one of our recent converts, but we met with her and taught her briefly because she had errands to run, and we were left with a some time. As we were saying a prayer before going into her house, I had a strong impression that we needed to tract the street. So, after our lesson, Sister B and I said a prayer that we would be guided to the houses the Lord wanted us to that day. We both said, “That one! Number 32!” A wonderful man answered the door and agreed to take the survey. We met his beautiful daughter and taught on the plan of salvation and set up a return appointment. As I was standing there, I kept thinking, “Wow, I feel like I know this man! We feel like old friends talking.” I feel that is the case with all the people that we meet while tracting, and even in our wards. It feels familiar- and I know that it is because we promised each other something not too long ago. It was truly a miracle!
Sister B and I talked about the blessings and power of obedience. As I was pondering one day, I was thinking, “Why do I feel so much closer to the spirit and why do I feel so different?” Like Sister Howes taught this morning, it is because of those simple acts and obedience to simple rules that makes the huge difference. I have felt a change in me in the short time that I have been here, and I can feel a change in our companionship and it all stems from obedience.
I have felt my very nature change. I have shifted from wanting to be obedient and doing things because I know that I am supposed to, to just simply doing them, and living them, and making living the higher law a part of me. I am growing spiritually because of the companionship of the Holy Ghost.
One of the greatest blessings on my mission so far is my ability to listen to the spirit and figure out how He speaks to me. I can now recognize promptings, and I know what it feels like when I am being spiritually led.
There were a couple of things that hit me hard yesterday during our training and one of them is that the gospel is exciting! I think back to the times on my mission when I have been struggling, and it is because the spirit wasn’t present. But, on the other hand, when we are obedient, and diligently working, it is exciting! We are seeing miracles! We are finding, and teaching, and committing people to change. We are seeing the change and shift in their and our own lives. It IS exciting! The spirit inspiring others to change is exciting and that is why I feel so privileged to be a part of this work here in Australia.
WELL FAMILY, I’M SORRY I’M SO SHORT ON TIME! WE HAVE TO RUN AND WORK IN OUR OWN AREA NOW :)
I love you heaps!!!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
GETTING LOST IN THE WORK AND LOVVVVVVINNNNNNGGGGG IT!
Sister Lloyd
| Mission Leadership Council |
No comments:
Post a Comment