| Sunglasses are a Must! |
We had exchanges this week and drove up to Grafton -- a 7 hour drive (340 miles north) that we drove straight ... no music ... no entertainment ... if anything, my mission has taught me how to live more simply. Before I always had to be entertained by music or my phone but I’ve learned that I really don't need it and you are closer to the Spirit when you don't have distractions.
Well … here's my week! I hope you enjoy my letter. I LOVE YOU HEAPS.
What are we going to do to find 5 new investigators each week?
I think back to the talk from Oct conference, "The Strength to Endure" http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/the-strength-to-endure?lang=eng, about how we must go about increasing our faith and gaining a testimony. We can’t become pro-football players by watching NFL games all day long. We can’t expect to be spiritually strong by just watching general conference twice a year. We can’t expect to find new investigators unless we go out and work! I relate the quote from E. Maynes to finding new investigators:
“We need to STUDY and LEARN the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ (finding and escalating) THEN we must do our very best to LIVE them. That is how we become disciples of Christ, how we build an enduring testimony.” (And how we find new investigators.) We must actively GO AND DO! We can study all we want about finding but unless, metaphorically, our fishing line is actually in the water, we won’t find anyone!
Sister B and I have been setting aside time each day to follow up with potentials, use our area book and go out finding using the survey. We make sure we are constantly asking for referrals. We have been rejected by heaps of people this week, but the Lord always gave us “the last house at the end of the street” where there was great potential. I can honestly say that I love tracting! I love meeting all of the different people in our area and hearing their stories. I love hearing their unique backgrounds. You knock on a door or walk down the street and you never know what is going to happen.
One of my favorite lines from my FAVORITE HYMNS is, “Have I done any good?” What does it tell us to do? To WAKE UP AND DO SOMETHING MORE! If we feel unsettled, if we aren’t finding success, if we aren’t happy, we must not sit around waiting for the cup to pass! We must wake up, and actively go and do!
While reading in the red handbook [Anne: I had to ask, it’s a book about adjusting to missionary life] about what I can do to improve, something jumped out at me – it is to ask oneself the question, “what is the worst that can happen?” Through repentance, stepping up obedience, opening your mouth to everyone, etc. “If the worst possible outcome is something you can live with or something that the Savior can help you overcome, move forward without fear.”
Alma 5:62 reads:
“I speak by way of command unto you that belong to the church; and unto those who do not belong to the church I speak by way of invitation, saying; come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye also may be partakers of the fruit of the tree of life.”
Elder Dyches says, if you feel unclean, unloved, unhappy, unworthy or unwhole, remember all that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Have faith and patience in the Savior’s timing and purpose for you. Be not afraid, only believe.”
My core experience with God definitely came from finding this week. There was a young woman we met name E. She was probably the most prepared person I have met while tracting. The immensity of God’s love just overwhelmed me as we met this young mother. As she accepted the Book of Mormon, she look at us, and smiled and said, “You know, this shows that God does exist. When you are having a bad day and struggling and confused and two people like you show up on my door step bringing happiness.” She was amazing.
Among the heaps of people we met this week, a man name Z sticks out to me. As I am teaching or finding sometimes I like to imagine what I would be like if I was investigating or taking the lessons, or if 2 missionaries knocked on my door. This young man reminded me of what I think I would like- stubborn. Very stubborn! But searching for answers and truths. I bore my testimony to him about how yes, I had been in his shoes, and through prayer and reading the Book of Mormon, I gained a witness for myself- the gospel of Jesus Christ gave me direction and purpose. He connected with that, and accepted our mormon.org card and agreed to have us over.
I know that the Lord is hastening His work. Thousands of missionaries are coming into the field and with the increase of missionaries, the Lord is hastening those prepared souls for us to find and teach. I know that.
Each week, what I learn is always centered on my relationship and understanding of my Father in Heaven. Yesterday, all of the lessons in church were centered on God as our Heavenly Father. Last night, we were able to teach two prospective elders in our ward, and were searching and praying to know what principle would be best to share with them. We decided to focus on the Plan of Happiness that our loving Heavenly Father has provided for us. These 2 guys have such a wonderful family and a wonderful dad who loves them more than they realize. While studying in Preach My Gospel CH3, it was great to hear how they connected the love of their earthly dad to their Heavenly Father.
So many people this week that we met had a belief in an omnipotent God but had never considered Him as their father. So many people said that they pray, but had never thought about anyone listening or actually answering those prayers. That is the knowledge and hope that has changed my life and will change others’ lives as they build a relationship with their Heavenly Father.
Teaching as Jesus taught came from my exchange with Sister T. Wow, exchanges were absolutely amazing! I am so grateful for this calling. I’ve been on very few exchanges on my mission and didn’t exactly know what I was doing, but the Lord carried both of us. We trained about having the courage to open our mouths. We went knocked on a door, no one answered and she started to walk away. I asked, “Only one knock?! I always knock three times, just to make sure!” Someone did come to the door and we were able to talk with them and schedule another appointment.
As I have been trying to understand repentance, another quote struck me by E. Funk: “Think of the good that comes form broken things; soil is broken to plant wheat. Wheat is broken to make bread. Bread is broken to become the emblems of the sacrament. When one who is repentant partakes of the sacrament with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, he or she becomes whole. As we repent and become whole through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we have much more to offer the Savior as we serve Him.”
Keep reading and being wonderful. I love you to the moon and back!
| Coff's Harbour Looking at Tasman Sea |

No comments:
Post a Comment