The Sound Must Go Forth

" ... the sound must go forth from this place into all the world, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth—the gospel must be apreached unto every creature, with bsigns following them that believe." - D&C 58:64

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

CHARITY & COCKROACHES


August 26, 2013

Hello Beautiful Family!

It has been a wonderful week and I have learned so much. I can honestly say this last week held two of the best days on my mission so far! Every month we have the opportunity to have a zone training. We voted as a zone that instead of receiving instruction this month, we would go out and do service. So, for two days, that's all we did! We strapped on our shoes (and in some cases boots) and went to work!

Several people got a kick out of me in my pink watch, pink bandana and pink Nikes -- sweating like a fool and nose deep in mud. The first day we were blessed to help a man with some yard work, mostly cleaning up trash and then digging up mud and pushing it in a wheel barrow underneath the house. Some of the Elders were just standing in the pile of mud so what did I do? I grabbed the shovel and started digging! I have never been that disgustingly sweaty in my entire life!!!! Everyone was cheering on prissy pants Sister Lloyd, but don't worry mum, you taught me to work hard and it was a blast!

Then we went over to a small city and cleaned up some of the public streets. Yes, neon orange bags in hand, we picked up trash around the city! And by trash, I mean I probably picked up 1000 cigarette butts, but the city of Amite was so, so grateful. They said that they had never had “Mormons” come to help before and never had a group this size! People are so impressed with missionaries down here. Religion and worshipping God is huge, but the people think that it is amazing that so many young people give up everything to help spread the word of God's love and offer service. They really admire us and are always watching us!  

We were also able have instruction from our zone leaders about the purpose of charity. This made me think- why do we serve? Our mission president has taught us to serve with a motto of LOVE, SERVE, TEACH. He explained that because we love someone, we want to serve them, but it also goes the other way, if we serve them, through that service we will grow to love them.Family, I can't explain or adequately express the love that I have felt out here on my mission. I know that I haven't been out long, but I can feel this change inside of me. I don't think that I have ever had a problem getting along with people, but as I view each person who I am serving as my brother or sister -- as God's child of great worth, I have an indescribable love for that person. 

We are taught that every person is born with the Light of Christ. Every person has been given that gift.  However, as we serve people, the Light of Christ will grow in US and grow in those whom we serve.  It was amazing to start the day of service, working as hard as we could, and then at the end of the day, feel so much love for the people and their gratitude and love for us.  With tears, they told us that they loved us and if there was anything that we ever needed, that they would give it to us. That is the light of Christ, pure gratitude, humility and love.

When you ponder this concept of love, you understand that the gospel is centered on service. What is the pure love of Christ? It is charity, which is serving our brothers and sisters.  So, I know that it has taken me a while, but after much thought and prayer, I made the simple connection that THE GOSPEL IS SERVICE AND LOVE.  Yesterday we were watching the Joseph Smith film, and there is a part when they lady says, Joseph, I don't believe in your church, but I really appreciate the service! (or something like that) and he replies, ma'am, I believe that is what our religion is.

Our second day was incredible.  We were blessed to help a man in Ponchetula who has a health issue so he can't clean up his yard or home. The "CAN CREW" was assigned to go to the backyard and clean up SOME cans that he had collected over the years to trade in for money. When we walked in back we saw a HUGE pile that basically covered the entire backyard. Family, I can't even describe the piles and mess we saw! We started off picking up each can, one by one and throwing them into a bag, but within a few minutes we were lying in the mud, scooping them with our arms, closing our eyes and mouths to avoid the cockroaches. I wish I could paint a better picture for you. Well, to put it in perspective, when we finished we took the hundreds of bags to a scrap yard and we collected $360.00 worth of cans for him!

I had a moment when I had to step back and absorb what I was doing. Here I was, drenched in sweat, covered in who knows what and I felt SO HAPPY. I looked around at all my friends, also dripping with sweat, backs bent, and working their tails off, with smiles on their faces. All of these people had sacrificed so much to be out here serving and I get to be a tiny part of this great work. I can't even describe to you the joy and love that I felt that day. Again, being here, serving with the missionaries, loving the people of the ward and the people we are teaching and serving – they all have become my family. I am so grateful for the incredible people that I get to meet and serve with here in LA. They are some of the strongest, most incredible people I have ever met. To see all of the Elders and Sisters working their tails off -- how many 20 year old men and women would give up everything to be working away in the summer heat in LA? THIS GOSPEL IS TRUE! I KNOW IT, I KNOW IT, I KNOW IT! We wouldn't be out here feeling this love and willingly serving if it wasn't. And I am so, so humbled to be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with these great people. 

I know that as we rely on the rock of our Redeemer, we cannot fall. It is a promise given to all. (Hel 5:12) I know that serving others is what makes us truly happy. That is why I am happy serving a mission. Even though it is hard to be away from you family, and believe me, some days are hard, I am happy because I am totally focused on helping others know of the joy that comes from living this gospel- the joy that comes from relying on our Savior and using the Atonement and seeing it work in our lives.

I love you so much family.

Reading assignment: faith, Alma 32.

Don’t miss me, I’ve got work to do!

Sister Lloyd






No comments:

Post a Comment