The Sound Must Go Forth

" ... the sound must go forth from this place into all the world, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth—the gospel must be apreached unto every creature, with bsigns following them that believe." - D&C 58:64

Thursday, June 5, 2014

EVERMORE EFFECTIVE!

Malo e lelei Family!
How are you?
I love you so much.

Taro Growing in Ditches - Sisters Make Tongan Lu Using the Leaves
Last week, after I got off the computer, I had to step outside and say a prayer. We have one hour to email and in that hour we are slammed with exciting news and info about LIFE CHANGING events and we only have time to skim over them - digest them quickly - spit out a few sentences, and focus back on our work. I know that it is supposed to be like that, but sometimes I just need to take a deep breath! I feel like I don't accurately communicate how proud I am and how much I love all of my friends and family because we are so rushed so … I hope that this message will help you feel of my gratitude and know of the prayers that I say for you. Please know that you are never forgotten. I cling to and ponder every word that is sent my way and if affects me positively during the week. I am just so grateful for all of you!

Please read DC 43:16 and pray about what you can do to fulfill the promises given by the Lord. Please? :)

I have been thinking a lot about the training that was given in MLC this past week. I have been pondering why member missionary work is so hard, and often discouraging.  In PMG it says:

“The work will move forward more powerfully when full-time missionaries and members coordinate their efforts and work in unity together.” 

I know that the reason it is so hard to do this is because it is the most effective way! It is the ideal way. THAT is why it is so hard! Satan knows that when we work together with members, hearts are softened, more baptisms occur, more stay active, members are strengthened and gain confidence and courage when they feel they are trusted. The adversary tries very hard to stop the work from hastening because it is the best way for the work of salvation to progress.

I have been pondering about opposition, and how we all need to be aware of the reality of power that Satan can have on our investigators, less actives, and ourselves. In Joseph Smith History, we read:

 15 After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was seized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction.
 16 But, exerting all my powers to call upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me, and at the very moment when I was ready to sink into despair and abandon myself to destruction—not to an imaginary ruin, but to the power of some actual being from the unseen world, who had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being—just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.

I feel so blessed to have the knowledge that when trials come, and when discouraging things come, it is only because there are miracles and greater blessings coming for us.

In PMG it says that we will experience difficult and discouraging things, but we will not FEEL discouraged in ourselves, because of the knowledge of our Saviour, and confidence that God will prepare a way for His work to be accomplished. I was also studying in the Book of Mormon, where I learned more about opposition. I read the story of Alma and Amulek. In Alma 14:8-26 it tells us about the horrific things they experienced during their missionary work:

 8 And they brought their wives and children together, and whosoever believed or had been taught to believe in the word of God they caused that they should be cast into the fire; and they also brought forth their records which contained the holy scriptures, and cast them into the fire also, that they might be burned and destroyed by fire ...
 26 And Alma cried, saying: How long shall we suffer these great afflictions, O Lord? O Lord, give us strength according to our faith which is in Christ, even unto deliverance. And they broke the cords with which they were bound; and when the people saw this, they began to flee, for the fear of destruction had come upon them.

I gained greater hope, and my testimony was strengthened as I read the next chapter.  

 11 And when Alma had said these words, Zeezrom leaped upon his feet, and began to walk; and this was done to the great astonishment of all the people; and the knowledge of this went forth throughout all the land of Sidom.
 12 And Alma baptized Zeezrom unto the Lord; and he began from that time forth to preach unto the people.
 13 And Alma established a church in the land of Sidom, and consecrated priests and teachers in the land, to baptize unto the Lord whosoever were desirous to be baptized.
 14 And it came to pass that they were many; for they did flock in from all the region round about Sidom, and were baptized.

In verse 14, we read that the people in Sidom FLOCKED to Alma and Amulek to be baptized! That Zeezrom was baptized, and they witnessed miracles proceding the awful things that had happened. That is why as the Toronto sisters, we have faith! We have been blessed with the knowledge that this is Heavenly Father’s work, and He has a greater plan in store for us and our area. We have been working so hard, but we need to work “smarter” and also plan “meticulously” so that we can be “Evermore Effective.”

My core experience with God this week was a miracle from finding. We were walking around the shops on the main street, and there was a man singing with his guitar. We saw his beaming smile, and started talking with him. The first thing that he asked us was our favorite hymn. We sang “Brightly Beams” on the side of the road. Turns out, this man is a member but hasn’t come to church since he was 12 years old! We immediately had a special connection with him, and he said that Sis M and I were just beaming and so he had to stop and talk to us. We agreed that he had that same light.It was another testimony to me that the people will “flock” to us when we are filled with the light of Christ. And we will be attracted to others who share that as well.

To close, I would like to pose a question for you to think about for next week’s letters. In Helaman 10:4 it reads:

 4 Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments.

I invite you to think about what motivates you. In your callings, in your work, in your studies, in your responsibilities with God and your fellowmen. 

I have pondered this question and as I am approaching my “year mark” this week I realized, that even though my motives have been “righteous” my entire mission they have been amplified, strengthened and continue to grow. I never thought it possible, but my desire to serve diligently grows each day. I love being a missionary more than anything in the world, and I am so grateful for this opportunity to be a part of the work of Salvation. You, yes, all of you, can be a part of this great work!

Family...

JUST KEEP SWIMMING! AND SETTING AN A+ AMAZING EXAMPLE FOR ME!
LOVE YOU HEAPS AND HEAPS AND HEAPS!
LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment