The Sound Must Go Forth

" ... the sound must go forth from this place into all the world, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth—the gospel must be apreached unto every creature, with bsigns following them that believe." - D&C 58:64

Thursday, June 26, 2014

MANLY IS HEAVENLY!

High Winds and Record Cold in Sydney!
MAN … FamiLY …
MANLY IS THE BEST!!!

I love it here!!!! I am so happy.
 After a week in this area, it's everything I ever dreamed Oz to be. The hustle, the variety of people, heaps of languages, the beauty, the beaches PLUS the most incredible loving Ward. I LOVE IT HERE! Everyone just took me right in and I’m so happy.

Beacon Hill
Another benefit of serving in the city -- we walk, and walk, and walk, and WALK! I have never been so sore on my mission which is saying a lot because I have tried my hardest to be active!
 We get up as a district every day at 5:30 (slight murmur) and play socca! I run my guts out. It's a blast and is great exercise which makes me happy. That being said, I have never been more tired in my life which is saying a lot because I thought I might have hit my limit in Toronto! BUT I also never thought that I could work harder or be happier or love people more than I did in my last area. It's amazing how aware the Lord is of us. After just one week, I have fallen in love with this area. 
It has been an incredible week!  Wow. I want to share some of the miracles that I experienced this week.
At the Bus Stop; No Cars for the Missionaries!
The first night that I arrived, we went to visit an investigator. After, it was getting dark and we needed to catch the bus home but felt like we should knock on a few doors. We tried a few, but no one was interested. We tried one more. We knocked, the door was answered, and we started talking to a young family who had just moved here from South Africa and welcomed us in for hot chocolate. Their son has the same name as my brother, so we immediately had a connection. This young family has been looking for a church or something to help their family be more centered.
Sister P and I spent some time contacting at the beach on Sunday afternoon. I have never seen that many people in my life! I pleaded with Heavenly Father help guide me to the people He needed me to talk to. I have never had so many options before when talking to people! To start off, I started smiling at people, and whoever smiled back, I introduced myself and starting talking. We met several people that way.

I said another prayer, and immediately looked up and saw a lady with her back turned. She looked deep in thought, and as I started talking to her, she started smiling and opening up to me. I had the impression to be bold with her, and to testify of the Plan of Salvation. Tears filled our eyes; she opened up to me that her family situation was very difficult. She said that it had been years since someone asked her how "she" was doing. It was a moment that I will remember for the rest of my life. She asked us if she could come to church, but she didn’t want to give out her information. I have been praying for her since, and even if we aren’t able to teach her right now, it is these core experiences stay in our hearts.

I know that the times that I have been the happiest, most spiritually fulfilled, and closest to the Saviour haven’t necessarily been because of lessons that “turn into new investigators.”  This realization increases my testimony of the love that God has for each of us -- that even if people aren’t prepared at the time when we meet, the Lord loves them enough to send them hope and love in a small, but powerful way.

Dee Why Beach
Another investigator we found this week was A. He saw me and just started laughing! He said, “You can’t be from here, you look too happy!” Turns out this man is from Brazil, and we spoke a bit in my broken Spanish (yes, his first language is Portuguese) for a moment. He said that he kept on praying for God to “leave him alone”!  I promised him that God was sending him a sign by our meeting each other. I shared the Restoration and his heart was softened. I immediately felt a connection with this man because we shared a similar joy and happiness that day. 

Another day, we were walking down the street, just talking and smiling and laughing. For some reason, a man STOPPED US on the street and asked us why we were so happy. We testified of the plan of happiness, and we are going to meet with him later this week.

I will hold back, and share just one more miracle! We found a young woman out cleaning as we were walking around Dee Why Beach, and she asked us why we looked so different. We taught her the Plan of Salvation, and later the Restoration. During our second lesson, she said that when we met, she thought she knew us, because something felt familiar. 

I know that it is the light of Christ that connects us as God’s children. It helps us remember familiar and peaceful feelings we felt long ago in our Heavenly family.   
Dear Friend Recently Baptized in Newcastle

We had a Tongan fireside on Sunday night! It was a miracle! I’m so grateful for all the Tongan that I learned over the last couple of months. I have had a couple of opportunities to share my testimony in Tongan. We found some people to teach as well!  I can’t wait to work in this area – it really is Zion!

I was studying the scriptures before bed last night, and I have really been trying to think about the questions my Mission President asked to help us delight and liken the scriptures more in our teaching. I love the example of Alma in Alma 43. It reads:

 23 But it came to pass, as soon as they had departed into the wilderness Moroni sent spies into the wilderness to watch their camp; and Moroni, also, knowing of the prophecies of Alma, sent certain men unto him, desiring him that he should inquire of the Lord whither the armies of the Nephites should go to defend themselves against the Lamanites.
 24 And it came to pass that the word of the Lord came unto Alma, and Alma informed the messengers of Moroni, that the armies of the Lamanites were marching round about in the wilderness, that they might come over into the land of Manti, that they might commence an attack upon the weaker part of the people. And those messengers went and delivered the message unto Moroni.
The strategy was revealed to Alma; similar to the experience in Alma 37. I know that as we consecrate ourselves, and really desire happiness for all of God’s children, our routes, plans, and all of our actions will be guided.   
My core experience with God this week happened while in a training with other missionaries. I looked around and was overwhelmed with this great love for all of the Elders and Sisters. It hit me so strongly that we are all tired, we all face challenges and have sacrificed so much to be here. I am so grateful for their examples. Even though we all struggle with so many different things, we all are trying so hard to do our best. 
Manly Sunset
I asked Heavenly Father if what I am doing is what He wants me to, and if my effort is acceptable, and I felt the arms of heaven outstretched to me in that moment. I know that I am here in this area and with Sister P so that I can develop greater charity. We are all trying to do our best, and build up the kingdom. We do that through working with investigators, members and less actives, but we also do that among our fellow missionaries.
I know that if we sincerely ASK the Lord, and DESIRE to SERVE and HELP His children, that His plan will be revealed to us. I know that this is His work, and that He wants to work hand in hand with us, as imperfect but willing tools, to do the work of Salvation. I know that the Saviour lives and loves us, and that is the message that we must share with everyone throughout the world.
Ofa lahi atu (I love you very much!)
AND …
I love you to the moon and back! I need to learn that in Tongan!

No comments:

Post a Comment